Thursday, August 7, 2008

First day of anatomy lab

Today was a day that I had been not exactly looking forward to. I have never been super into "gross" things, and previous dissections I have done in school have usually made me nauseated. Usually it is the smell of the formalin (formaldehyde) that gets to me, not seeing or touching something gross. However, today I was pleasantly surprised. The room did indeed smell, but even after 2.5 hours I was doing fine. Also, dissecting a human was very interesting compared to a frog or a rat.

In case you have never been inside an anatomy lab, each body is in a "tank" which is a steel box in which sits the body and lots of formaldehyde. Two levers on each end of the tank lift the platform the body is sitting on out of the tank. Once you remove the towel covering the body, you are ready to start. In most med schools, including Baylor, a group of students are assigned to one tank.

My cadaver was an elderly man who had passed away from advanced Alzheimer disease. In terms of bodies, this was good, because males tend to have good muscle definition, and Alzheimer's does not really affect the anatomy much, except in the brain. One group had the body of a malnourished female, and they could barely find the muscles at all.

I think I am going to like anatomy more than I thought I would, but now I just have to figure out how to memorize thousands of pieces of information just by looking at little pictures...

1 comment:

Philip said...

That's exactly how I always felt in KAMSC biology about having to memorize little bits of information. I especially liked our fetal pig dissections, but I can't imagine how interesting it would be to dissect a real human!