Saturday, September 6, 2008

Med School is Still Hard

Ever since arriving at Baylor, it seems like we have received at least one e-mail per day describing some volunteer opportunity that med students are doing in the Houston community. I was starting to feel like I was missing out if I didn't help out with something, so today I volunteered at the Lyons Clinic in the 5th ward (a generally poor and under served neighborhood in Houston. I got to wear my white coat, equipped with my new stethoscope, reflex hammer, and pen light (none of which I knew how to use). However, I was placed at the neurology table, and third year medical students taught me how to do a pediatric neurological exam. So now I at least know how the reflex hammer works.

My block 1 final is coming up soon, and I am starting to feel the pressure. They purposefully test us only once per six weeks, so that there is no possible way you can cram for a test this big. I have been doing my best to keep up, but the amount of information we have covered is pretty amazing. So if i don't post again for a week and a half, you will know why.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Well good luck! We all know you can do well.

It seems like the the volunteering will be good experience for you. Keep us posted.

Philip said...

Dang, if they're already giving you all that cool doctory stuff, I don't see why you even need to graduate! As commercials have taught me, the only reassurance I need that someone is a doctor is if they're talking to me while wearing a stethoscope and a white coat.

Bryan said...

Hey, uh, try not to die in the hurricane. You know that there's a hurricane, right?